| Aetna ValuePassSM Card: Frequently Asked Questions
1. Where can patients buy the Aetna Value Pass?
Patients can visit www.aetnavaluepass.com.
There, they can:
- Enter their zip code to find a dentist participating in our nationwide Aetna Dental Access® network*
- Review the services offered
- Select the services they want
- Put the appropriate amount of money on their card
- Choose either a prepaid plastic card or a digital certificate to make purchases
- Call to make an appointment with an Aetna Dental Access provider and get care
*This network is only available in the United States.
2. What is this card and do I have to accept it?
The Aetna ValuePass card offers discounts via the Aetna Dental Access network in accordance with your Aetna contract.
3. Is there an eligibility requirement?
No, Aetna ValuePass is not insurance. There are no claims, copays, deductibles or eligibility requirements.
4. Will there be a name displayed on the card?
A. No. There will be an account number and "Valid Thru" date.
5. Who can use the card?
A. The funds are not transferable, but a ValuePass cardholder can authorize family members to use his/her Aetna ValuePass card.
6. Is there a maximum limit on the card?
Yes. The maximum limit per card is $5,000 (subject to change).
7. How is the money going to be transferred to dentists?
Dentists will get paid immediately from the Aetna ValuePass debit card, just as they would from any other MasterCard® and/or Visa debit card.
8. Can patients reload the card at any time, or just once a year?
Patients can reload and use the card as often as they want. There is a maximum of $5,000 on the card at any one time.
9. Is there a charge to dentists?
No. There is no charge to dentists for participating in the Aetna ValuePass program.
10. Do dentists get charged a "merchant fee" when they accept the card?
Yes. Dentists will be charged the same merchant fee as they are today when they accept any credit and/or debit card payment. The Aetna ValuePass is a MasterCard prepaid card.
11. Does the office need a specific card reader?
No. Dentists can use their current card reader that accepts credit and/or debit card payments.
12. How can dentists who don't have a card reader get one?
Dentists can contact their bank institution to find out how to accept credit and/or debit card payments.
13. What happens if dentists can't accept a credit/debit or prepaid card?
Dentists who can't accept a credit/debit or prepaid card can't participate in the Aetna ValuePass program. However, dentists may contact their banking institutions to find out how to set up their office to accept these cards.
14. How do dentists process the digital certificate?
The digital certificate is processed exactly like a plastic debit/credit card, except the card is not swiped through the card reader. To get payment from the certificate, simply key the account number (displaying on the image of the card) into the card reader. The card also displays the "Valid Thru" date and CVV code.
15. How will patients know their Aetna ValuePass balance?
Patients can print a balance statement from the website. They can also call 1-888-215-6578 to get their balance.
16. What happens if my patient's card or certificate doesn't work?
The card or certificate may not work for various reasons:
- No money on the card
- Broken card reader
- Problem with the strip on the back of the card
If this happens, check your terminal for a reason code. Or, call 1-888-215-6578 for help.
17. Who can I call with questions?
We're ready to help you. If you have questions, call us at 1-888-215-6578.